Orbit Around October continues at the Museum of Flight, and there are a slew of astronomy club meetings on the calendar for this week.
The Museum of Flight continues its spacey month with a visit to Ceres at 2 p.m. Saturday, October 21. Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab participating scientist Debra Buczkowski will talk about the discoveries of NASA’s Dawn mission to the giant asteroid Vesta and dwarf planet Ceres. Buczkowski will discuss what we learned about Vesta and Ceres, and how this helps us understand the formation of bodies in the asteroid belt. Free with museum admission.
Star party in Oak Harbor
The Island County Astronomical Society plans its monthly star party in Fort Nugent Park for around dusk on Friday, October 20.
Haunted night sky
The popular planetarium show Haunted Night Sky continues on Saturdays through October at the Pierce College Science Dome. Show times for October 21 are 12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m., and the program runs about 45 minutes. The show is designed for kids ages 3–12. Tickets are $6 for children, free for adults, and are available online.
Astronomy club meetings
There are half a dozen astronomy club meetings in the region this week:
- Rose City Astronomers, Portland, 7:30 p.m. Monday, October 16. Agenda
- Island County Astronomical Society, 6:30 p.m. Monday, October 16. Agenda
- Idaho Falls Astronomical Society, 7 p.m. Tuesday, October 17. Agenda
- Seattle Astronomical Society, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, October 18. Agenda
- Eugene Astronomical Society, 7 p.m. Thursday, October 19. Agenda
- Palouse Astronomical Society, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, October 19. Agenda
- Tri-City Astronomy Club, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, October 19. Agenda
Mark your calendar
The next Astronomy on Tap Seattle event is set for 7 p.m. Wednesday, October 25 at Peddler Brewing Company in Ballard. The theme will be “A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxies” and the evening will feature talks about galaxy types, formation, and evolution. Plus beer and astronomy trivia.
Please support Seattle Astronomy with a subscription through Patreon.